Summer Corn Chowder
- 8 ears fresh sweet yellow corn, husked and silks removed and kernels cut from cob
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 5 slices bacon, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 – 3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving (optional)
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened and just starting to brown around edges, about 8 – 10 minutes. Add in the flour and garlic and cook 1 1/2 minutes. While whisking, slowly pour in 5 cups water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, then stir in corn kernels and potatoes. Add in thyme and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leave then transfer 2 1/2 cups of the chowder to a blender and blend until smooth. Stir the mixture back into the pot then stir in half and half and honey. Sprinkle each serving with chives and optional cheddar.
Barbell Class today Fuel Fitness 12:10 – 12:50 OUTSIDE!! Come and check it out. Watch for POWER STRENGTH coming in September. ALL modes of strength coming your way in just 40 short minutes you will get a total body sculpt!