- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans water
- 1 cup rotini or other small pasta
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, for topping
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine sausage, onions, and carrots. Cook until the sausage has browned and the vegetables has softened, 5 to 7 minutes, breaking up any large pieces of sausage with a wooden spoon. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, add diced tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, basil, fennel, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper to the slow cooker. Stir in water and sausage mixture.
Cover and heat on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. During the last 10 minutes of cooking time, stir in the pasta, cover, and continue to cook until softened. Serve with mozzarella cheese on the side.
Power Strength today at Fuel Fitness 12:10 – 12:50 Octane Studio. Get your pump on. See you soon!