Formula for building the perfect smoothie
For best results add the ingredients in the order listed.
- Liquid ½ to 1 cup includes: green tea, water, juice, unsweetened nut milk (almond, coconut, cashew etc.)
- Protein 2 T. includes: nut butter, hemp seeds, chia seeds or protein powder
- Produce ½ to 1 cup (about a handful) includes: vegetables such as – cucumber, mashed pumpkin, mashed squash, spinach, kale, chard OR fruit such as – berries, half a medium banana=1/2c, melon, pitted cherries, pineapple
- Fat ¼ to ½ avocado, 6 almonds, walnuts or pecans, full fat Greek yogurt, 1 T. olive oil
- Ice and/or frozen fruit ½ to 1 cup
Build your smoothie in the order listed choosing 1 item from each building block. You can mix two or more fruits, veggies, fats etc. just keep the quantity the same. You can add fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil, parsley for another layer of flavor as well as boost the nutrient value.