So, I’m injured…. Yup! It’s hard to even write these words, but if they speak to just one person it will have been worth my energy. I’ve been dealing with an injury to my pubocapularus ligament for probably 9 months now. What the heck is THAT you ask? Well, apparently it’s pretty important ligament that originates from the front side of the hip bone (think butt) and attaches to your pubic bone. To put it in a nut shell, I have a PAIN IN MY ASS (and it’s not Tim!) But that’s not really what this post is about.
Stay with me…
This post is about how to work THROUGH an injury. I know MANY people that workout injured, or just quit working out altogether hoping it will go away. Or are afraid of getting RE-Injured so don’t workout at all? Am I speaking to you? I’m here to tell you ALL of those ideas are BAD!
Here’s WHY and what you CAN do:
- Don’t delay! When you are injured the BEST thing you can do at first is of course REST and ice and DO NOT STRETCH!
- If the resting and icing doesn’t change your pain within 48 hours seek a diagnosis.
- Start with your GP. Pain is your guide, it’s your body’s way of communicating with you.
- Explain your symptoms, to your GP, or maybe your chiropractor, or whoever you seek care from.
- Don’t stop searching until you find the solution to FIX your injury.
- Most importantly: REHAB the injury before you go full bore back into your routine!
- There ARE things you can do that don’t aggravate the injury focus on those and for pete’s sake DRINK WATER! Hydration and SLEEP will be your best friends.
Questions about an injury you have? Hit me up, I would love to see if and how I can help!!