As you know, today is “Make a vegetarian dish” for the 40 day Mindful Challenge!! What WILL you make? I challenge you to POST a pic of the dish along with the recipe! It will be FUN!!! My how time flys…are you being Mindful and playing along? Don’t forget to TAG me, so I can see what you made!! CHEERS!!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (16 oz.) bag of brown lentils
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (32 oz.) cartons vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream, cheddar cheese, croutons, tortilla chips, avocado
- In a large heavy duty dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; saute the vegetables for 8 minutes or until soft and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf and stock. Season with salt and ground black pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer 3 cups of cooked chili into a food processor and process until pureed; add the pureed chili back into the remaining chili and stir to combine. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.